Updated on July 9th, 2022
Starting your own website or blog is one of the best things that you can do. It’ll allow you to share your creativity with the world or build a valuable business. It could also change your life and open new opportunities that you’d never imagined. In this guide, I’ll show you how to start a SEO-enabled website yourself, step-by-step.
Plan your Website
Decide on the niche or passion which will be the subject of your website
Observe and analyse other websites and blogs that are top of their game
Come up with a catchy name for your website or blog
How to start a SEO-enabled website yourself, Step-by-Step
Option 1 – Site Builder Platform Option eg Wix, Squarespace, Weebly
Option 2 – WordPress – self-hosted – RECOMMENDED for setting up a seo-enabled website yourself
Choosing WordPress Hosting
- Your first website for basic needs if speed isn’t critical —> Bluehost
- Your first website if speed is important and you want to expand —> Siteground —> RECOMMENDED OPTION. To help you decide between Bluehost and SiteGround, we’ve written this article. Also, we have a full review of Siteground at this link.
- If you want to grow rapidly, need maximum speed or have existing traffic —> Kinsta —> RECOMMENDED OPTION. Please check out our Kinsta Review at this link.
Choosing a fast & responsive WordPress Theme
WordPress Plugins – A few I would recommend to start a SEO-enabled website yourself
Recommended WordPress Site-Building Plugins:
- Elementor is a very easy-to-use drag and drop editor. What I love about it is that your web page or post will look exactly as it appears in the Elementor editor. This is not the case unfortunately with the WordPress Classic Editor. The free version of has all the basic needs for you to get started. Elementor seems to have negligible impact on website speed.
- Yoast SEO. I can’t say enough good things about this plugin. It will help you to create posts that are optimised for search engine keywords. This will increase the likelihood that your content will become elevated in Google search rankings. It’ll even help you to improve your writing style. An intuitive traffic light system is used whereby green signifies great SEO optimisation through to amber being medium and red signifying poor SEO optimisation.
Recommended WordPress Security Plugins:
- Limit Login Attempts Reloaded will help to protect your website from brute force attacks. Due to the popularity of WordPress, brute force attacks are particularly common by bots. With this plugin, if your site encounters too many repeated failed login attempts from the same IP address, the IP will be blocked temporarily. There are also options for logging and blacklisting or whitelisting particular IP addresses.
Summary – How to Start a SEO-enabled Website Yourself
If you’re starting a blog or website, you really want it to be optimised as much as possible for search engines.
Be really careful with your use of plugins, especially in the beginning when you are trying to get traffic.
Once you’ve got your blog up and running, jump right in with your first posts. Don’t worry if they’re not perfect as you’ll build skills as you go. Here are some examples of first blog posts that you might get inspiration from.