This post was last updated on February 18th, 2021
You’ve probably heard that blogging is a great way to make money. But how do people actually make money through writing articles online? Well you’re in the right place. In this article, I’ll explain the types of blogs and how they make money.
Serve Your Readers with High Quality Content
Types of Blogs
1. Blogs with Advertising
- PPC (Pay per click) or CPC (Cost per click)
- CPM (Cost per Mille (thousand)) is the cost for every 1,000 potential customers who have the ad served up to them. The potential customer doesn’t need to click on the ad.
- CPA or PPA (Cost per Acquisition or Pay per Acquisition) is where you are paid when the customer clicks on an ad and it results in a confirmed sale.
Pros of Types of Blogs running ads:
- Easy to setup and install ad code on your site.
- The provider will serve up the ads automatically.
- You can concentrate on the quality of your blog content and monetisation takes care of itself.
Cons of Types of Blogs running ads:
- You need a lot of traffic which can be expensive if it’s paid traffic.
- Ads can detract from the seriousness of your content is some cases.
- You don’t have much control over what ads are served up on your site.
2. Blogs with Affiliate Marketing
How Affiliate Marketing Works
Use Affiliate Marketing to Share Products that You Use and Love
Pros of Types of Blogs utilising affiliate Marketing
- It’s less subtle and less intrusive than obvious advertising on your site.
- You can promote and support products that you use and believe in while earning a commission.
Cons of Types of Blogs utilising affiliate Marketing
- Some bloggers may link to products with the highest commissions rather than what they actually believe in.
3. Types of Blogs which earn money indirectly
Blogging can also earn you money indirectly. Some of the ways this is possible are:
Include a Blog in your Business Website
Blogging can also improve the SEO of your site. Regular blog posts will help your website rank higher in search results and thereby make your products more visible in Google search. When your customers click on the website to view the post, they are more likely to notice another post then stay on your site for longer.
Another advantage is the realm of backlinks. Backlinks or as often are called inward-bound occur when other sites link to your website.
Your customers will be more likely to link back to you as you’re providing such useful relevant content which you are regularly being updated on. These backlinks are super-powerful for SEO as Google views them favourably when ranking your site.
Include a Blog in your Shopify Store
Blogging is great for e-commerce business as it can dramatically improve the search engine rankings of your store.
One great example is by Press who sell cold-press juices and juice cleanses and have a Shopify store selling these products.
Their blog, The Squeeze Magazine contains an amazing catalogue of articles on all aspects of health and nutrition. This provides fantastic engagement and trust with their loyal customers.
Promote your own physical or digital products.
Summary of Types of Blogs that make money
Click here for a list of blogs which currently make over $10,000 per month in passive income!
Frequently Asked Questions – types of blogs
Should I run both advertising and affiliate links on my blog posts.
Yes, especially if you make your advertising appear less intrusive. Many sites do run both advertising and affiliate marketing programs. By signing up with an agency such as Mediavine or Adthrive, they can help you to make your ads seem more integrated and less blocky.
What is a recurring affiliate program?
Some affiliate programs will continue to pay you for as long as the referred person remains a customer. These are considered by many marketers as the best affiliate programs. One good example is the Getresponse affiliate program.
Can you still make money with blogging in 2021?
Yes, blog sites continue to make considerable income in many niches. They can take some time to set up but the income can be well worth it. Some great examples include Neil Patel, WPBeginner & Shoutmeloud
Can I monetise a brand new blog?
Yes but it’s unlikely that you’ll earn much money until people start finding your site.You can set up Adsense advertising as early as you want as there is no minimum traffic requirement.
Likewise most affiliate programs will accept you as long as you have a decent looking website.